Sewage Backup in Athens GA
Sewage backups are caused by your home’s drain pipes or main sewer lines clogging. Backups can cause problems as small as slow drains to major overflowing toilets. They are caused by clogs, tree roots, damaged sewer lines, and even heavy rain falls.
What are some signs of a sewage backup?
- Multiple drains are clogged.
- Water backs up into other drains.
- Toilets aren’t flushing like they normally do.
There are many ways to prevent sewage backups from occurring in your home:
- Make sure you do not pour grease down the drain after cooking. The grease can harden within your pipes and gradually stop debris from being able to drain properly.
- Ensure only the correct paper products are being disposed of in your toilet. Things such as paper towels, diapers, or even feminine products can cause a clog.
- Installing a backwater prevention valve could also help in allowing sewage to leave but prevent it from backing up into your home.
- Maintain tree roots in your yard to ensure they are not damaging your sewage line.
By handling the contaminated water yourself you risk exposure to diseases. Call SERVPRO of Athens for water damage repair and mold services.