Mold and your home
Mold can be found both inside and outside of your residence. It can enter your home through doorways, vents, AC units, and windows. The mold in the air outside can attach itself to your bags, shoes, pets, and clothing and be brought indoors.
Mold typically grows in places with a heavy presence of moisture, such as leaks in windows, roofs, or pipes. It tends to grow well on cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood products, and even your common paper products. It can also grow in dust, paint, wallpaper, drywall, carpet, upholstery, and insulation.
If you discover any sign of mold in your home you need to clean it up and fix the moisture problem. Mold can actually be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, bleach solution, or even soap and water.
Mold growth, typically looks like spots, can be many different colors, and smell musty. If you are able to see or smell it then a health risk may be present. No matter the type of mold, you should remove it. The best thing to do is remove the mold and work to prevent it from growing and coming back.
If you do choose a bleach solution to clean up your mold:
- Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products will produce dangerous, toxic fumes.
- Open windows and doors to provide fresh air.
- Wear non-porous gloves and protective eye wear.
- If the area to be cleaned is more than 10 square feet, consult the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guide titled Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings. Although focused on schools and commercial buildings, this document also applies to other building types. You can get it by going to the EPA web site at http://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using bleach or any other cleaning product.
SERVPRO of Athens is ready to assist with any mold related questions or problems. Call today! 706-549-3366