Technology and Thunderstorms
Whether you have the new iPhone 11 Pro or have the iPhone 7 …the number of social media apps available to download and ways to stay connected is endless. Although Zoom and Google Meet keep you connected with your friends, technology can also help keep you safe during a storm!
Technology can be an essential tool in preparing for a storm, keeping you informed, and helping you communicate with others. Being prepared for a storm can offer peace of mind and security. Below are some storm safety tips, apps for your phone, and some cool ways to use already existing technology in a new way.
- Follow the news and stay informed! You can download free apps onto your phone or tablet such as The Weather Channel to stay up to date with the newest information.
- Store an extra copy of important information online. Services like Google Drive and Dropbox make it even easier to store important information such as insurance policies, medical records, identification documents, and even information about pets living in the home. This ensures information will be accessible to you should your home or business flood or catch fire. Your phone goes with you everywhere you go!
- Let your family know you are safe. Whether you call, text, or video chat, it can give family members peace of mind to know you are safe. You can also check in on Facebook.
- Always keep a backup charger in your car! Severe weather can strike at any time and you may not always be home. You never know when you may need to charge your phone and keeping a backup charger in your car guarantees you will never be left with a dead phone.
- Create an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) for your business. The Emergency Ready Profile will be created for you by a SERVPRO worker free of charge. It will provide important facility details such as valve shut-off locations for water, electricity, and gas and priority contact information. It will be available to you on your smartphone or tablet any time, day or night.
Technology is one of the quickest and easiest ways to stay informed about the weather and what is happening in your community.
Should you need emergency services during or after a storm, do not hesitate to contact SERVPRO of Athens (706) 549-3366