5 Crucial Signs Of Sump Pump Failure For Property Owners
A sump pump failure can result in severe damage to your property.
A sump pump failure on a property is one of the most commonly overlooked yet potentially disastrous issues. Water damage is a frequent call we receive, and sump pump problems often top the list.
This article delves into the implications of a sump pump failure using a recent scenario from Athens, Georgia, where our SERVPRO® team was summoned. By the end, we'll demonstrate why your best bet is choosing SERVPRO for water damage cleanup.
What are the common causes of a sump pump failure?
A sump pump ensures your property remains dry and free from water-related damage. Nevertheless, like all mechanical devices, it's not immune to failure. Some common causes include:
- Power failure: Often, the most common reason for a sump pump failure is a power outage. During stormy weather, power can be unpredictable when you need the pump the most.
- Improper installation: A sump pump must be correctly installed to function optimally. Errors during installation can lead to ineffective operation and, eventually, failure.
- Old age: With time, sump pumps wear out. It's generally a good practice to replace them every 7-10 years.
- Clogged discharge lines: If the line that moves water away from the property becomes blocked, your sump pump might stop working.
- Lack of maintenance: Regular checks and maintenance can prevent sudden failures.
What happens if a sump pump fails?
The aftermath of a sump pump failure can be catastrophic. A malfunction can lead to flooding in your basement or crawl space. A sump pump damages property and possessions and provides an ideal environment for mold growth, which can be hazardous.
Take the case of a beautiful property in Athens, Georgia. The homeowners woke up one morning to find their basement transformed into a murky pool. With precious memories and valuable equipment at risk, they immediately recognized the magnitude of the situation. That's when they made the call to our SERVPRO of Athens team.
Indications of a sump pump failure?
It's essential to catch the early signs of a sump pump malfunction to prevent the full extent of damage. Here's what to keep an eye out for:
- Unusual Noises: If your sump pump starts making odd sounds, it might be a sign of malfunction.
- Frequent Cycling: If the pump turns on and off too often, it could indicate a problem.
- Vibrations during Operation: A jammed or damaged impeller can cause the pump to vibrate excessively.
- Visible Rust: Corrosion or rust can compromise the pump's efficiency.
- Age: If your sump pump is close to or over a decade old, it might be nearing the end of its lifespan.
Does insurance cover damages caused by a failed sump pump?
Insurance policies vary, but many standard homeowner's insurance plans don't automatically cover damage from sump pump failures. Instead, you should add a specific endorsement or rider to your policy that covers water backup or sump discharge and overflow. It's always best to consult your insurance agent to understand your coverage better.
Why SERVPRO should be your go-to for water damage cleanup
Our Athens, Georgia, scenario illustrates the devastation a sump pump failure can bring. But it also showcases the prowess and efficiency of the SERVPRO team. When called, our team arrived promptly, assessed the damage, and immediately began cleaning. Here is why you should choose SERVPRO:
- Expertise and experience: We have years of experience handling various water damage scenarios, ensuring a comprehensive cleanup.
- Advanced equipment: Our team uses state-of-the-art equipment to extract water, dry out spaces, and restore your property to its pre-damage state.
- 24/7 Service: Emergencies don't wait, and neither do we. Our team is available around the clock.
- Mold remediation: Post-water damage, mold growth is a significant concern. We ensure mold is kept at bay, ensuring the health and safety of your property's occupants.
Sump pump failure, while common, can lead to severe consequences for any property owner. Recognizing the signs early on can help mitigate the damage. However, if you ever face the aftermath of such an incident, know that SERVPRO is just a call away. Our expertise, commitment, and state-of-the-art resources restore your property to its former glory. Trust SERVPRO for all your water damage cleanup needs and experience the difference for yourself.