Heavy Rainfall Predicted in Athens Georgia
The weather outside could be frightful this next week with all of the rainfall predicted. With the rainfall comes the potential for your house to take in water. There are several ways you can prevent this from happening and therefore preventing any damage to your home.
- Install Sump Pumps with backup power.
- Waterproof your basement and any connected entrances. (Cleaning gutters, storm drains, and slope water away from your home)
- Have a backflow valve or plug installed in your sewer connections to prevent sewage water entering your washing machines, bathtubs, and more. These would cause an overflow onto your floor.
- Create a plan for emergency. A list of thing such as disconnecting appliances, turning off gas lines, and even turning off your water.
If you do find yourself with possible water damage from the storms don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of Athens – 706-549-3366. We are here for you 24/7.
Sewage Backup in Athens GA
Sewage backups are caused by your home’s drain pipes or main sewer lines clogging. Backups can cause problems as small as slow drains to major overflowing toilets. They are caused by clogs, tree roots, damaged sewer lines, and even heavy rain falls.
What are some signs of a sewage backup?
- Multiple drains are clogged.
- Water backs up into other drains.
- Toilets aren’t flushing like they normally do.
There are many ways to prevent sewage backups from occurring in your home:
- Make sure you do not pour grease down the drain after cooking. The grease can harden within your pipes and gradually stop debris from being able to drain properly.
- Ensure only the correct paper products are being disposed of in your toilet. Things such as paper towels, diapers, or even feminine products can cause a clog.
- Installing a backwater prevention valve could also help in allowing sewage to leave but prevent it from backing up into your home.
- Maintain tree roots in your yard to ensure they are not damaging your sewage line.
By handling the contaminated water yourself you risk exposure to diseases. Call SERVPRO of Athens for water damage repair and mold services.
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Athens, Georgia commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
SERVPRO of Athens also assists with detailed cleaning! Our estimators come to you to provide you with a FREE cleaning estimate. Cleaning services include carpet & upholstery cleaning, duct cleaning, and drapery cleaning. Our professionals can also provide you with a detailed cleaning estimate for restaurants, local business offices, schools, and libraries. Call today to schedule your FREE onsite estimate! 706-549-3366
About SERVPRO of Athens
SERVPRO of Athens specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Meet our Crew!
Holiday Fire Safety Tips
As the holiday season approaches, SERVPRO of Athens wants to help you and your family have a happy and safe holiday. Fire damage is not something that is at the top of your mind during this time, but it’s important to remember some easy suggestions in order to ensure your family’s safety. The American Red Cross has provided the following tips to prevent any fire damage and to make sure you have a safe and joyous holiday!
- Cooking and Baking: No holiday celebration would be complete without a feast, but be sure to take precautions against kitchen fires when you’re cooking and baking. That includes keeping children and flammable items such as grocery bags and kitchen towels away from the stove and oven. Clean up greasy spills as you go to remove another fire hazard. If you’re deep frying a turkey, keep the fryer well away from structures and trees, make sure your turkey is fully thawed, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your fryer
- Christmas Trees: Old fashioned Christmas celebrations featured wax candles on live tree branches – inside homes! Today we know better, but risks still remain. If your family prefers real trees, be sure to water yours every day because dry needles and wood catch fire more easily. Go ahead and use many strings of light, but don’t plug more than 3 strings into each other (opt for a power strip instead). Discard light strings that are worn or broken. And be sure to always unplug the lights before leaving the house or going to sleep.
- Fireplaces: Nothing takes the chill off winter holidays like the light and heat of a fire on your hearth. Just be sure to keep “fuel” – from wrapping paper to rugs to clothing – at least three feet away from the flames. Use a fire screen to keep embers and logs from escaping. Lastly, make sure all embers are fully extinguished before you turn in for the night.
If you experience any fire damage, please give SERVPRO of Athens a call today at (706) 549-3366.
For more information, please visit https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/fire/holiday-fire-safety.html
Cleaning Services in the Athens, Georgia Area
Did you know that we offer general cleaning services? SERVPRO of Athens offers structural cleaning for a wide variety of issues including animal or nicotine odors, residues from cooking or smoke damage from a fire. SERVPRO of Athens cleans ceilings, walls, floors, light fixtures, cabinets and much more. We specialize in deep cleaning and offer cleaning solutions for any size need including post-construction cleaning and rental property cleaning. We also offer ozone and thermal fogging for odor remediation needs.
Air Duct cleaning is another SERVPRO service that is often needed in conjunction with structural cleaning. In the event of a smoke damage we can apply a sealant to the inside of your ductwork to further prevent odor after cleaning. Let a member of our SERVPRO staff meet with you to give you a free no obligation estimate and help you determine the best cleaning solution for you. When you need detailed cleaning at your home or business call your local cleaning professionals at SERVPRO of Athens.
Call SERVPRO of Athens today to schedule your estimate for a wide variety of cleaning services! 706-549-3366
FREE Cleaning Estimates!!
SERVPRO of Athens offers free cleaning estimates on a wide array of both commercial and residential cleaning services. You can have a SERVPRO of Athens Representative come to your home or business to give you a free, no obligation estimate on cleaning services by calling our office to schedule an appointment.
Our in person estimates allow us to customize your service by informing you of all of the service options available to best suit your cleaning needs. We will take the time to answer any questions you may have about your cleaning and scheduling options. If you would like to know more about the representatives that can give you a free estimate head over to the Our Employees page to meet our friendly Sales staff.
Call us today at 706-549-3366 to schedule your free estimate on any of our cleaning services including:
- Carpet cleaning
- Upholstery cleaning
- Drapery cleaning
- Tile and grout cleaning
- Air Duct cleaning
40 Years in Business
Our 40 Year Anniversary is coming soon! SERVPRO of Athens has proudly served Athens and the surrounding areas for almost 40 years as a locally owned and operated franchise. Owners Peter and Claudia Wood are active in the day to day operations and enjoy being able to offer a valuable service that you can rely on when your most valuable asset is affected by a water or fire damage.
Peter and Claudia are active in the local community as members of the Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation, the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce and their church. Peter often consults with customers to help guide them through the mold remediation or water damage process. Claudia oversees many aspects of operations including the office and sales departments.
SERVPRO of Athens hopes to enjoy many more years as your local trusted resource for home or business. We will strive to make every home or business damage "Like it never even happened" thanks to our dedicated staff of restoration pros who live and work right here in our community. Thank you for 40 great years Athens!
SERVPRO of Athens Employee Spotlight: David Chance
In 2002, David Chance launched into SERVPRO of Athens as a Production Crew Chief. He then moved into the position of Sales and Marketing Manager utilizing his “gift of the gab” and worked towards his current position as Production Manager. David wears many hats and is the glue to our foundation. While he is rarely in the office his time here is used to generate estimates, update adjusters and customers, and drive the office staff batty all while enjoying a handful of Cheez-Its.
While out in the field, you can find David under or inside a home inspecting for mold, water, and fire damage. He also enjoys property routes and meeting with property managers to create and maintain relationships in our community. David holds many IICRC certifications including the Applied Microbial Remediation Technician certification. He also holds a Bio-Recovery certification.
David is a valued employee at SERVPRO of Athens! Thank you for your dedication!
Water Restoration Process
Imagine waking up in the wee hours of the morning stepping out from your bed onto squishy wet carpet! The toilet had been running for hours. You stop the water source but what do you do next? Call SERVPRO of Athens of course! But what comes next? What do we do? This is an outline of what to expect during a water damage service:
Step 1: Emergency Contact
Call SERVPRO of Athens 706-549-3366 we answer the phone ready to help. SERVPRO of Athens does not have an automated call center! We have trained professionals to answer your call. Expect to tell them your name, phone number, and address.
Step 2: Inspection
Our technician will arrive onsite to scope the damage by identifying the water source, the type of water, and survey the extent of the water damage.
Step 3: Water Extraction
With the use of water removal equipment such as truck-mounted vacuums or pumps, we quickly remove hundreds or thousands of gallons of water from your property. During this process we also inspect the materials that may need to be removed for proper drying of the structure.
Step 4: Drying and Dehumidification
Our Professionals will use room measurements, temperature, and relative humidity to determine the optimal number of air movers and dehumidifiers to dry your home or business. We’ll carefully monitor the progress using moisture meters until the materials return to acceptable drying goals.
Step 5: Cleaning and Repair
SERVPRO of Athens specializes in restoring contents damaged by fire, water, or mold. Our expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. Some of our restoration tools include carpet cleaning, deodorization, and sanitizing treatments.
Step 6: Restoration
Restoration, the final step, is the process of restoring your home or business to its pre-water damage condition. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall and installing new carpet, or may entail major repairs, such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
Tropical Storm Florence
SERVPRO of Athens has been keeping an eye out for Tropical Storm Florence. According to our Meteorologist Florence will be continuing on a westward path towards the coast of Georgia and the Carolinas. She also predicts Tropical Storm Florence to make landfall on approximately Thursday September 13, 2018. As the storm approaches it is intensifying. At landfall Florence may turn from tropical storm to hurricane strength possibly Category 3.
Florence East Coast Landfall Risks:
- Wind Damage
- Major Storm Surge Inundation Possible
- Power Outages
- Fuel Shortages
When storms hit Athens, Georgia we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 706-549-3366