Gutters are Important
utters are a very important part of roofs for commercial and residential buildings as they are responsible for transporting water and debris off of roofs. Especially in stormy seasons, it is important to ensure gutters are functioning to their highest ability.
Removal of water and debris in gutters lightens the load on the roof, preventing the possibility of roof leaks and caving under stress from weather. It is important gutters are maintained in optimal working condition to prevent damage to the entire commercial or residential structure.
Gutters should be inspected twice yearly and cleared of debris that could prevent flow of water and materials from roof. Also, check for standing water in gutters as it could indicate inadequate flow of water. Water should be moving down off the roof toward storm drainage areas. Keeping trees trimmed near the roof will alleviate stress on gutters because the branches will not slow water flow or contribute more debris to gutters.
Ensure water is being funneled away from the building once off the roof, as flooding can sometimes occur due to runoff not having proper.
Water stains on the internal ceiling can indicate a roof leak.
In the case of water damage, roof leaks, and storm damage, SERVPRO of Athens provides “24 Hour Emergency Services.”
This coming weekend is finally bringing the rain and storms we all want in Athens. As much as we welcome to cool breeze and rain, they can sometimes cause damage to your home. Heavy winds and hail can damage any home no matter how prepared for a storm they are. When any sort of damage happens from a storm it is important to get the repairs done quickly and efficiently.
Hail can cause damage to your roof and siding of the cosmetic nature. But, it can also damage the seals around windows, chimneys, and exhaust fans which allows water to enter. Heavy winds have the ability to remove shingles or siding which is your homes defense against weather elements.
Once exterior damage happens, water can easily enter your home and cause an entirely different issue. When water enters it does not remain a simple repair. It can damage floors, walls, and all hidden spots in your home. If you don’t have someone like SERVPRO of Athens looking and efficiently conducting your repairs water can leak into places with no airflow and other places you wouldn’t know to look.
Excessive moisture leads to mold, which once it starts it gets worse as time goes on and will never fully go away unless cleaned properly. That can lead to expensive work needed to replace drywall, insulation, and even the framing of the house.
So enjoy our upcoming storms but make sure to get your home inspected regularly. When damage does happen, call someone as soon as possible to get the repairs started before more damage occurs. Just remember, SERVPRO of Athens is always here to help with any storm damage!
Mold and your home
Mold can be found both inside and outside of your residence. It can enter your home through doorways, vents, AC units, and windows. The mold in the air outside can attach itself to your bags, shoes, pets, and clothing and be brought indoors.
Mold typically grows in places with a heavy presence of moisture, such as leaks in windows, roofs, or pipes. It tends to grow well on cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood products, and even your common paper products. It can also grow in dust, paint, wallpaper, drywall, carpet, upholstery, and insulation.
If you discover any sign of mold in your home you need to clean it up and fix the moisture problem. Mold can actually be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, bleach solution, or even soap and water.
Mold growth, typically looks like spots, can be many different colors, and smell musty. If you are able to see or smell it then a health risk may be present. No matter the type of mold, you should remove it. The best thing to do is remove the mold and work to prevent it from growing and coming back.
If you do choose a bleach solution to clean up your mold:
- Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products will produce dangerous, toxic fumes.
- Open windows and doors to provide fresh air.
- Wear non-porous gloves and protective eye wear.
- If the area to be cleaned is more than 10 square feet, consult the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guide titled Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings. Although focused on schools and commercial buildings, this document also applies to other building types. You can get it by going to the EPA web site at http://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using bleach or any other cleaning product.
SERVPRO of Athens is ready to assist with any mold related questions or problems. Call today! 706-549-3366
Common Fire Causes:
A fire can be a devastating loss to anyone. Here are some common causes of fire within your home or business:
Many people smoke in their homes. A fire can be started from a simple ash falling to someone falling asleep with a light cigarette. Smoking in your home is not only dangerous but also damaging to the homes structure.
Unmaintained Dryer Vents
Lint accumulates quickly! Cleaning your dryer vents regularly is extremely important, preferably after or before every load. It only takes one small spark or too much heat for lint to burn.
Faulty Electrical Equipment
Always make sure the wires on your appliances are not stripped or exposed in any way.
Another electrical hazard is overloading an outlet or extension cord. Never plug multiple power outlets into each other
Candles should always be put out when leaving the home. Always make sure they are on a level surface and away from any fabrics or fire starters.
Space heaters have the potential to be very dangerous. Nothing should be left to close in front or back of a space heater. The unit itself can get very hot, not to mention the air it disperses.
Always keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen. Many things can go wrong while cooking. Especially with open flame, gas stoves.
If a fire causes damage to your commercial or residential property, please call SERVPRO of Athens at (706)-247-7308
Fire prevention is crucial for any residence or business. Fire prevention saves lives, homes, and our precious treasures. Every parent should take a few minutes to explain to their children what to do in case of a fire. Businesses should hold company training and have evacuation routes mapped for all employees to read. All homes and businesses should have proper fire extinguishers and smoke detectors placed in the appropriate areas.
Athens-Clarke County offers many valuable resources for fire prevention. The Fire Prevention Program is an example of one the resources available to the Athens-Clarke County community. This program helps our homeowners to receive smoke detectors. When replacing old smoke detectors be sure to follow proper disposal guidelines. It is always best practice to send them back to the manufacturer
SERVPRO of Athens is available 24/7 for all of your fire restoration or smoke damage services. Our professionals are ready to assist you and get you back in your home faster!
Fire Damage Athens, GA
SERVPRO of Athens is available 24/7 to assist you in the event of a fire damage! Our professionals hustle to get you back in your home faster! Our Production Manager, David Chance, is the first to arrive to assess the damage and get you the assistance needed. Our cleaning crew arrives shortly thereafter to begin cleaning your home and its contents to get you back to everyday living faster. We know it is burdensome to not be able to live in your home. We put effort in making sure we clean every surface properly and faster than the rest to get you back into your home.
If you have any questions regarding fire damage, smoke damage, or impossible odors give our office a call. We are ready by the phone to assist you with getting you the help you need as quickly as possible.
SERVPRO of Athens is ready to provide you with an appointment for an onsite inspection. 706-549-3366
2019 Marigold Parade in Winterville, Georgia
SERVPRO of Athens was back at it again! We attended the 2019 Marigold Parade. The Marigold Parade is part of the Winterville, Georgia Marigold Festival. This festival began over 30 years ago in order to promote friendship and renovate the town. The festival includes juried arts and crafts, food vendors, dancing and entertainment. All festivities are held at Pittard Park.
As always, our SERVPRO of Athens crew was spotted at the end of the parade making it “Like it never even happened.” SERVPRO of Athens attends the parade annually and keeps the streets clear after the parade. Attending this year’s parade was Joey Baker, Connor Brewington, Matt Addison and our Production Manager David Chance. Our guys enjoy cleaning up the streets and throwing sweets! We also light up the crowd by squirting water guns for a quick cool down. We enjoy making our community smile.
See you at the Colbert 4th of July parade!
Mold Prevention Tips
There are many ways you can prevent the occurrence and growth of mold.
- Keep humidity levels no higher than 50& all day. The lower the level the better. Using an AC or dehumidifier will help you keep that level low. Keep in mind though you’ll need to check those levels throughout the day as the moisture in the air and temperature change.
- Add mold inhibitors to your paint before painting.
- If you notice a leak, get it fixed as quickly as possible in the roof, walls, or plumbing. Doing this will impede the growth of mold due to keeping the moisture down.
- Ventilation – Use exhaust fans that vent outside in your bathroom and kitchen. Also make sure that your clothes dryer vents outside your home.
- Clean bathrooms and other high moisture rooms with mold killing products
- Remove or replace any carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and not dried promptly.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today –706-549-3366
Flood Damage from Within the Home
Many flooding issues caused within your home are actually caused by appliances. Anything from a failed dishwasher to a broken hose connected to a washing machine. A failure of either of these machines can drop five gallons of water, every hour, onto your floor. If this does happen while you are gone, it means an entire home can be under an inch of water before you come back.
How we help to remediate the issue:
1. Stop the flow of water. If you haven’t been able to for any reason we will do it immediately upon arriving on the property.
2. We start removing any standing water. Depending on the amount of water we bring various pieces of equipment. We bring extractors for multiple surfaces and inspect the floors, carpets and walls.
3. We draw out any remaining water trapped on carpets and floors as long as there is no permanent damage.
4. We lower the moisture readings in the air after the water has been removed. To do this we use dehumidifiers to draw moisture out of the air. It’s also used as a preventative of rot and possible mold growth in walls and on the floors.
If you need any assistance with a water damage do not delay! Call SERVPRO of Athens 706-549-3366
Does Your Athens, Georgia Home Have A Mold Problem?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today –706-549-3366